A wholesale food market is a location in which food is displayed and exchanged between bulk vendors and trade customers or prepared for distribution to restaurants, schools, or stores.
If you’re finding a list of them, you come to the right place.
In this post, we’ve curated the 10 best wholesale markets to purchase a wide range of foods at competitive bulk prices for your next business.
Best Wholesale Food Markets In The USA To Visit
Here’re the 10 best wholesale food markets in the USA you should visit.
1. Grow Eastern Market
Grow Eastern Market is a wholesale food market located at 2934 Russell Street Detroit, MI 48207, USA.
It’s managed by a nonprofit organization founded in 1891 with a mission to strengthen the farm-to-folk relationships by connecting local wholesale vendors with institutional buyers (chefs, restaurants, schools, grocery stores, etc.) and nourish a healthier, wealthier, and happier community.
- You can pre-order eggs, meat, prepared foods, desserts, fruits, vegetables, and other harvested fresh foods online from Monday – Wednesday and drive through on Saturday for contract-free pick-up.
- Commercial kitchen space, technical assistance, and workshops for food entrepreneurs through the partnership with FoodLab Detroit.
- Only open on Saturday (7 AM – 4 PM year-round), Sunday (9 AM – 3 PM June – Sept), and Tuesday (10 AM – 4 PM June – Sept).
2. Martin Bros
Formed in 1940, Martin Bros is now a full-line, independent, and family-owned foodservice distributor made up of over 600 experienced employees.
It owns 2 wholesale markets providing 3K+ restaurant-quality food products from renowned brands, affordable meal solutions, and party supplies for every occasion. Plus, the company offers fundraising opportunities for local schools and organizations.
The 2 market locations are situated at 408 Viking Road, Cedar Falls, IA 50613, and 711 South Federal, Mason City, IA 50401.
- Open Monday to Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM.
- Online ordering for in-store pickup.
- Professional experts, restaurant & marketing assistance, and business solutions.
- Some products have low stock levels.
3. Restaurant Depot
Restaurant Depot possesses many wholesale food markets & cash-and-carry grocery warehouse stores in various states around the United States, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Los Angeles, etc.
Each location stocks an enormous selection of brand names as well as the company’s own quality brands. Items are also grouped and merchandised by category, and prices are clearly displayed to help you save time from searching for products or calculating costs.
Regarding product collection, Restaurant Depot carries deli, fresh & frozen meats, seafood, dairy, dry groceries, fresh produce, etc.
- No minimum purchase requirements.
- Open 7 days a week.
- Free membership cards are issued to those who own or manage a restaurant, coffee shop, bar, pizzeria, night club, caterer, deli, foodservice distributor, and non-profit organization.
- Each member is informed about special pricing offers, events, and exclusive discounts.
- Click & collect online ordering system.
- To qualify for a free membership account, you need to submit a valid reseller’s permit or tax-exempt certificate.
4. Gordon Food Service
Gordon Food Service operates 170+ wholesale food markets & stores that are open to the public.
It was founded in 1897 and has gradually grown to become one of the largest family-operated broadline foodservice distribution companies in North America, serving small & big restaurants, schools, universities, healthcare facilities, hotels, stadiums, and more.
At Gordon Food Service, you can purchase appetizers, soups, entrées, sides, bakery products, beef, hot dogs, eggs, fruits, vegetables, beverages, etc.
- Available 7 days a week and does not require a membership fee.
- Tailored solutions and powerful digital tools for businesses.
- Order online and pick up in-store.
- Some items have low inventory levels or are constantly out of stock.
5. Sam’s Club
Established in 1983, Sam’s Club is currently a division of Walmart, serving millions of customers and operating almost 600 wholesale food & grocery market locations across the US and Puerto Rico.
The company is a membership warehouse club that offers members quality goods at low prices by stocking the right products and purchasing them in large quantities to save costs.
- Open 7 days a week from 10 AM to 8 PM.
- Free shipping on most items for Plus members, exclusive savings, cash rewards, early shopping, etc.
- Online ordering and curbside pickup.
- Same-day delivery services.
- Most benefits and services are only available to a paid member (from $50/year).
6. Costco Wholesale
Costco Wholesale is another massive warehouse club in the US. Opening its first location in 1976, it quickly became the first company ever to grow from zero to $3 billion in sales in less than 6 years.
Nowadays, Costco runs 800+ wholesale markets & merchandise warehouses worldwide, each maintaining about 4,000 SKUs.
In terms of food selection, the company supplies organic foods, gourmet foods, meat, poultry, seafood, cheese, dairy, desserts, pantry & dry goods, canned foods, and more.
- Open 7 days a week at convenient hours.
- Cash back, savings, risk-free return policies, and other benefits for paid members.
- Same-day delivery and pickup solutions.
- Most benefits are only available to a paid member (from $60/year).
7. BJ’s Wholesale Club
BJ’s Wholesale Club is a leading warehouse club operator concentrated primarily on the east coast of the United States. Its wholesale food markets consistently offer 25% or more savings on a representative basket of manufacturer-branded groceries compared to traditional supermarket competitors.
Since its inception in 1984, BJ’s Wholesale Club has grown its footprint to 18 states with 6.5M+ members and generated $16.7B annual total revenues.
- Open 7 days a week from 8 AM to 11 AM.
- Big savings, cash backs, and other advantages for paid members.
- Fast shipping, same-day delivery, and pickup.
- Most benefits are only valid to a paid member (from $55/year).
8. Shamrock Foods Distribution & Food Supply
Shamrock has over 100 years of experience in the industry and is now one of the top 10 largest private food suppliers in the USA.
Its headquartered is in Phoenix, Arizona, and its wholesale markets & warehouses are in Boise, Idaho; Denver, Colorado; Albuquerque, New Mexico; Eastvale, California; Sacramento, California; and Portland, Oregon.
- Available 7 days a week.
- Advanced online ordering system with access to thousands of products, along with images, portion costs and nutritionals, customizable sheet-to-shelf order guides, real-time inventory levels, security features, and more.
- Tools, resources, events, and expert advice from a team of restaurant consultants and specialists.
- Some items have low quantities.
9. Value Wholesale
Value Wholesale has a cash-and-carry wholesale market of 15,000 sqft, stocking a wide variety of beverages, snacks, candies, and foods.
In addition, it owns over 120,000 sq feet of warehouse and office space as well as a distribution center consisting of 2 buildings.
Value Wholesale is located at 15188 Eight Mile Rd, Oak Park, MI 48237, United States.
- Open 6 days a week.
- Place orders online in advance to have them ready for fast pickup.
- A number of items have low inventory.
Lax-C is a wholesale food market you can visit at 100 N Main St, Los Angeles, CA 90012.
It specializes in supplying Thai groceries in bulk, from hot sauce to noodles.
- Large selection of foods and cuisines.
- Open 7 days a week.
- Bad website designs and only a few products can be ordered online.
If you’re finding a market where wholesale vendors and business owners trade foods directly, the best option is Grow Eastern Market.
For anyone looking for a place with a massive curation of products, Restaurant Depot, Gordon Food Service, Sam’s Club, Costco, and BJ’s Club are ideal choices.
Martin Bros, Shamrock, Value Wholesale, and Lax-C are other wholesale food markets worth visiting.
The rightful owner of The Clever Business. I review & curate the leading suppliers so you don't waste time scouring the internet.